- Huntington native Mildred Sparks celebrated her 101st birthday in her home on Thursday, June 23. If you want to mail her a birthday card, even though it’s after the fact, address it to Mildred Sparks at 413 Charlton Street, Lufkin, Texas 75901, or call her at her home at (936) 634-5128.
- Kirbyville resident Katie Beaver, director of “The Caroline Gilbert Hinchee House in Beaumon,t” is the honored guest speaker for the July 1 meeting of the Deep East Texas Archeological Society at about 7:15 pm. at the Iris and Anne Howard Civic Center on 213 Court Street in Newton. A 6:30 pm Sandra Litton and her culinary artists like Billie Grunden and Titter Hogan will array the desserts and refreshments for members and guests to feast on. At 7 pm, President Ruth Dusan will conduct a short business meeting. One of Katie’s gifts for speaking will be “The Old House Doctor” by Christopher Evers, which will also be the door prize for those attending, and a copy of this book will be donated to the Newton County Public Library by one of the members. Her other gift will be “The 1893 Mulliner Woodworking Catalog”. r more information, contact Ruth Dusan at (409) 379-5694 or jrdusan@windstream. net or Dickie Dixon at (936) 671-1419 or email@example.com
- The Jasper County Historical Commission has released the speakers’ schedule for the free-to-the-public 2023 Jasper County Genealogy/History Conference at 8 am. “Introduction Opening Remarks John Johnson, Jasper County Historical Commission Chairman, and Jasper County Judg 9 am. James Grays et al The Annie Colbert Rosenwald Museum” 10 am. Sherrie Leach “What To Do With A Mystery DNA” 11 am. Jamie Carter Bollich “Solomon Wright: A Southeast Texan Rambles Into History” Noon Lunch at the to-be-reopened Belle Jim Hotel 1 pm. Stanley Fletcher “Moses Rose” 2 pm. Linda Reynolds “Genealogy and History Abound in the East Texas Research Center” 3 pm. Owen Vaughn “What you Need to Navigate familysearch.org” The Conference will take place at the Courthouse Annex one block east of the courthouse on Houston Street from 9 am to 4 pm. For more information, contact Jasper County Historical Commission Chairman John Jasper at (409) 384-6441 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Dickie Dixon at (936) 671-1419.
- The Angelina County Genealogical Society is hosting the Authors’ Autograph Party from10 am. to1 pm. on Saturday, July 23, at the Meeting Room of the Angelina County Chamber of Commerce on 1615 South Chestnut Street in Lufkin. Authors will have their books for sale and sign them, too. Authors who have been invited or will be invited are Jamie Carter Bollich, Marilyn Whitehead Peveto, Ted Walker, Chris Edwards, Scott Sosebee, Louise Wilson Jetton, and Katie Wilson Moak, Bobby Bean, Janell McCall, Jonathan Gerland, Gina Donovan, Dick Donovan, Mary Lynn Baxter, Charlotte Corbell Ingle, Karen Howell Norton, Penny Clark, Roy Philp, Jr., Betty Oglesbee, and Kim Whitton, Richard Orton, Jan Dobbs Barton, and Peggy Arriola Jasso, Debbie Lyles, Gary Pinkerton, Susan Nethery, Henry Taylor Millard, Neal Murphy, John Culea, Joe Deason, Jeff Forret, Frank Johnson, O. T. Haygood, and Suzy Spencer. Because of the generosity of Beaumont author Rosie Walker, author of the novel “The Write-In,” multiple copies of the recently published book “In His Own Words Gordon Baxter Flying Lessons and Pilot Talk” Tribute collection from Jenny Baxter” Will be given with a book purchased from an author. No matter how many books someone buys from different authors, only one copy of Jenny Baxter’s book will be awarded to one person. If you are an author who wants to come, or if you know an author you want us to contact, please contact Dickie Dixon at (936) 671-1419 or email@example.com
- All of us in East Texas mourn the passing of agronomist Dr. Charlie Bollich of Beaumont at about7 pm. on Thursday night, June 16. The funeral was held on Saturday, June 25, at St. Anne Catholic Church in Beaumont, and the interment occurred in Mowata, Louisiana (between Eunice and Crowley). If you would like to send a sympathy card, mail it to The Charlie Bollich Family, c/o Paul and Andrew Bollich 955 Brandywine Beaumont, Texas 77706.
- Sometime in July, historian Jim Todd will speak on St. Cyprian’s Church. Call the church to find out when.
To submit an item to this column, email it to firstname.lastname@example.org, by phone at (936) 671-1419 or by mail to Kissin’ Kuzzins P. O. Box 151001 Lufkin, TX 75915-1001. For a book review, ail a complimentary copy to the address just listed.