(1) Albert Prokopetz, Director of the Big Thicket National Preserve, will speak at 6:30 p.m. on Monday, July 1, to the Deep East Texas Archeological Society at the Iris and Anne Howard Civic Center on 213 East Court Street in downtown Newton, Texas. For more information, contact Kathy Knighton or Terri Woods at 409-379-2109, Fred Grunden at 409-384-6544, or Dickie Dixon at 936-240-8378. The public can e-mail Kathy at kathy.nchc @ gmail .com Terri at terri.nchc @ gmail .com Fred at bilfre64 @ yahoo .com or Dickie at dickie.dixon @ hotmail .com.
(2) Dickie Dixon will discuss “Angelina County Enters the Transportation Age” for the Angelina County Genealogical Society at 4 p.m. on Monday, July 15, in the Railroad Depot Meeting Room of Kurth Memorial Libraryon 706 South Raguet Street in Lufkin, Texas. At 6 p.m. he will discuesss the businesses of James Butler’s strip mall on Keltys Street that housed the Lincoln Theater. This meeting will be held at the Fellowship Hall of Keltys United Methodist Church on 1867 Old Mill Road in Lufkin, Texas. For more information on both these meetings contact Rev. Cindy Doran at 936-852-4123 or Dickie Dixon at 936-240-8378. The public can e-mail Cindy at keltysumc @ hotmail .com or Dickie at dickie.dixon @ hotmail .com
(3) Ann Morris will discuss photo and video preservation, when she speaks to the Timpson Area Genealogical and Heritage Society (TAGHS) at 2 p.m. on Wednesday, July 17, at the Timpson Public Library on 520 Austin Street in downtown Timpson. For more information please call the Genealogy Room at 936-254-2966.
(4) From 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on July 19, 2019, the Jasper County Genealogy Conference will bring you up to date on what you don’t know about genealogy. Sherrie Shelton Leach will discuss “Using Timelines in Genealogy,” and Billie Pate Grunden will discuss her family connections to the War of 1812. Alana Inman, Manager of the Sam Houston Region Library and Research Center will discuss recent additions and renovations to the facility and what’s there; Herman Wright and Jamie Carter Bollich will discuss their family relationship and his grandmother Arvetta. Patti Huff Smith will discuss “The Beatitudes of Genealogy,” and Karen Kurth Hall how to file your applications for membership in to the United Daughters of the Confederacy and the Daughters of the American Revolution. Stanley Fletcher will discuss “The Inlaws and Outlaws of the Neutral Ground.” For more information, contact Newton County Historical Commission co-chairs Linda Primrose or John Johnson at 409-384-6441 or jaspercountyhc @ yahoo .com or Dickie Dixon at 936-40-8378 or dickie.dixon @ hotmatil .com
(5) Andra (Ricks) Jay, President of the LHS Class of 1969 Reunion Committee, says: “Our 50th class reunion will be Saturday, October 19th from 6-11 pm at the VFW with Glen Lenderman and his band for our entertainment. More information will be available at a later date. If you have not joined our web page, Lufkin High School Class of 1969, please do so with a good mailing address. Hope to see everyone there. SAVE THE DATE!”
The public can reach Andra at Memawjayx5 @ yahoo .com at 936-897-3518 or 936-238-9009. The author adds: If you or your spouse graduated with the class of 1969 and served in the military, we want to honor you at our reunion. Please contact me in the manners listed below.
For book reviews/notices please send a complimentary copy to Kissin’ Kuzzins P.O. Box 151001 Lufkin TX 75915-1001.
Send your queries to dickie.dixon @ hotmail .com by mail to Kissin’ Kuzzins P.O. Box 151001 Lufkin, TX 75915-1001 or by phone to 936-240-8378.