(1) Keith Stephens, forester with the Campbell Group, will discuss “Tree Ring Chronology (Dendrochronology),” and George Avery, staff archeologist at Stephen F. Austin State University, will discuss “Archeology Dating Methods” for the next Deep East Texas Archeological Society meeting. To be held at 6:30 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 11, at the Iris and Anne Howard Civic Center, 213 East Court Street in Newton, guests and members of the Society will enjoy refreshments, finger food and desserts at this time.
At 7 p.m. Fred Grunden, president of the Society, will start the meeting, and Stephens and Avery will begin their programs about 7:15 p.m. The public is invited to attend, and the cost to become a member of the Deep East Texas Archeological Society is $5 per year.
(2) The 4 p.m. meeting of the Angelina County Genealogical Society on Nov. 18 will feature Wayne Fults, a collector of old pop bottles. His topic will be “Lufkin’s Earliest Soda Bottles.”
(3) Bill O’Neal, formerly the Texas state historian, will discuss his new book Billy Dixon Plainsmen at 6 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 18, at the Fellowship Hall of Keltys United Methodist Church, 1867 Old Mill Road in Lufkin. For more information, contact Rev. Cindy Doran at email@example.com or 936-852-4123, or see the author’s contact information below.
(4) The East Texas Archeological Society will meet at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 21, in a room on the first floor of the Ferguson building on the SFASU campus. For more information, contact Tom Middlebrook.
(5) The Deep East Texas Archeological Society will hold its annual Christmas party and impromptu auction at 6:30 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 2, at the Iris and Anne Howard Civic Center, 213 East Court Street in downtown Newton.
(6) The Angelina County Genealogical Society will hold its Christmas party from 2 to 4:30 p.m. in the Fellowship Hall of Keltys United Methodist Church, 1867 Old Mill Road in Lufkin. President Dickie Dixon will cook a brisket and make up sauces homemade, and members are asked to bring sides. The party will conclude at 4:30 p.m. For more information, contact Rev. Doran at the email or phone above, see Dixon’s contact information below.
For more information about the DETAS meeting or Christmas party, contact Kathy Knighton or Terri Woods at 409-379-2109, or send an email to either firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com, reach Grunden at firstname.lastname@example.org or 409-384-6544, or use the author’s contact information below.
For book reviews, please send a complimentary copy to Kissin’ Kuzzins, P.O. Box 151001, Lufkin, TX 75915-1001. Send questions about genealogy or queries about your family to Dickie Dixon at that same address, or by email to email@example.com, or by calling 936-240-8378.
SUBSCRIBE to the print edition of THE VINDICATOR here for as little as 77¢ a week. Or, buy only the e-Edition for as little as 68¢ a week. Subscription rates start at $17.50. THE VINDICATOR has been reporting the local news and sports in Liberty County for over 131 years now, and we've just about gotten the hang of it.